I started with something simple like "a+1=3, a=?" That took him all of 5 seconds and I needed to get him out of my hair to finish Chloe's book. So I gave him a problem with 2 equations and 2 unknowns. Why not, right? I handed him the board and said, "If you can do this one you can go to college." So he gleefully took it off to his room to work on it. About 5 minutes later he came in with this (he wrote the 2 and the 3):
I looked at him with a bit of amazement and said, "That's right". Then he exclaimed, "I CAN GO TO COLLEGE!!!" I couldn't imagine him more excited than if he had passed an actual entrance exam. He then wanted to rush off to inform mom that he didn't have to go to kindergarten in the morning because he was going to college. I had to let him know that it wouldn't be tomorrow, but he definitely would be going. He still has to learn how to cut along lines and sit still during reading time.
Oh, and on a related note, Venessa went to his first parent-teacher conference last week. He reads so well that the teacher was curious, so she had him take a computer reading test. (Sorry, this is shameless bragging, but we're his parents, so we're allowed). He tested at a 3rd grade 3rd month reading/comprehension level. He's not even really supposed to be in kindergarten yet. Next semester he's going join the 1st grade advanced reading group for an hour each day. We love our little egghead. It's fun to watch his little brain work and how excited he gets to learn new things.

1 comment:
Holy cow, what a little genius! I need to come observe you guys. :)
Post a Comment