I didn't expect it. I knew it was a possibility, but I didn't really think it would apply to my little angel.
Phebe's left collar bone is broken. It broke during delivery. I still can't believe it. We went to her first well check appointment today, and because her shoulder had gotten stuck during delivery, the pediatrician did several mobility tests on her arm and shoulder. She clearly favored her left arm, so he ordered it be x-rayed. She can move it, so he knew it wasn't too severe, but it was either a broken collar bone or a stretched ligament with possible nerve damage.
It's a clean break, and it will heal in about a month with no cast and no residual effects. Stretched ligaments would probably have meant physical therapy and a prolonged recovery. With either she would have made a full recovery, but honestly a broken collar bone is the "better" of the two options.
When Phebe got stuck on her way out, they had to work quickly and well, for lack of a better word, roughly to get her out. The longer she stayed stuck with my body trying to squeeze and push her out, the greater the chance of serious nerve damage. They would rather break her collar bone and get her out pronto. It's a horrible reality, but I know that my baby is safe and ultimately healthy because of their quick work.
That's all three of my children with broken bones. Jer was 22 months old when he broke his tibia on a slide. Chloe was 5 1/2 months old when she rolled off the mattress and broke her femur. Phebe was negative one minutes old when she broke her clavicle! They keep getting younger. That's it - you can't be younger than birth so no more of my babies can break their bones! I'm putting my foot down here!
It's a harsh reality when I can't even protect them from birth, but I'm thankful to God that Phebe is going to be alright. Plus, the doctor said she's not in pain, so for that, too, I am extremely grateful!
Phebe is beautiful and strong, and I'm so proud of what a tough little cookie she is!
1 comment:
Omg! Honey! I feel like such a bad friend for not reading this until Thursday! I was just thinking about what a wonderful parent you are, and I thought I would check up on the blog. What a surprise! I'm glad Phebe will be OK, and I hope all the kiddos are happy. I'm thinking about and wishing the best for all of you! :)
Cissie
Post a Comment