I haven't blogged about it yet because understandably, it's hard to talk about, but waiting much longer would almost be disrespectful. Last Sunday my great-grandmother (Jeremy's great-great-grandmother), Alice Lucille Murphy (commonly known as Mimi) and probably my favorite person in the whole wide world, died just 8 days before her 91st birthday. The picture above was from when Ryan, Jeremy, and I went to see her in the hospital just 6 days before she passed away. I am sooooooooooo glad that we decided to go to Alabama for my 25th birthday, so that we got to see her one last time. It means so much that baby Jeremy got to see her again. I can't tell you how incredible it was to see Mimi smile as she watched Jeremy playing. I miss her so much already. She was the strongest, most faithful person I know, and she loved her family fervently. She was our matriarch, and our family will never be the same.
She is being cremated, and a small memorial service is being held for her on August 15th at Holmes Street United Methodist Church, the church I grew up in and the one she's attended for 50 years. Jeremy and I are flying in for the weekend. I'm going to sing The Rose at the service, something Mimi has asked me to do for her since I was a child.
I know with a perfect knowledge where she is and that I will see her again. Until then I will miss her terribly. I hope I can be half the wife, mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, woman, Christian, and friend that she has been to so many people.
I love you, Mimi. I'll see you soon.
Mimi with her daughter Trish, granddaughter Cindi, and great-granddaughters Jennifer and Kimmy at my wedding reception
Mimi and me

1 comment:
I am SO sorry for your loss :( Mimi was AMAZING and always so kind to me. Please let me know if I can do anything to help while you're here. I'd love to watch the baby while you sing! Just txt me 256-508-6925.
Post a Comment