Friday, August 28, 2009

Bilateral Strabismus

Jeremy had surgery on Wednesday to correct his cross-eyedness (bilateral stabismus). It was at the Boulder Community Foothills Hospital, the same one where I delivered (I love that hospital) at 8 AM. Here is a picture of Jeremy before the surgery in his cute little hospital gown (that's Dr. Nichols, the surgeon, in the background).


The hospital gave Jeremy a puppy dog to cuddle with before the surgery. Here's Superdog (his creative mom named it. Jer can rename him later). Superdog looks alot like Danny's dog Treedog.



I was allowed to go back to the OR to be with Jeremy while they put him to sleep. Here I am in my OR get-up.


It was extremely disturbing to see him put to sleep. They use a mask to put him to sleep and then regulate the anesthesia with an IV that they put in after he's out. I'm glad I could be there to comfort him while he fell asleep, but I cried and cried after I left.

Luckily the surgery was over by 9:15, so I didn't have too long to fret in the waiting room. When the surgeon came out his face was blank, which made me nervous, but he waved us over casually, so I could breathe again. Here's baby Jeremy shortly after he woke up.


He didn't open his eyes much for a while, but when we got home, we saw just how red the inner whites of his eyes are. They're supposed to be red for a couple of weeks. His eyes defintely are straighter, but it's going to take a while for his brain to figure out how to use his new eyes. We go to the doctor for a check-up next Tuesday, and they'll measure exactly how straight they are.


He's still recovering from the anesthesia. The first day was really rough. He cried alot (exhibit A)


And he felt really weak. This is what he did for most of the day (and anybody who knows my son knows he's not a cuddler and NEVER puts his head down on anyone's shoulder).


I think his eyes look pretty straight.


His eyes stayed dilated the entire day. Here he looks like one of those Japanese anime characters.


He really wanted to play.


But he would collapse on my leg in fatigue after 5 minutes of playing.


I had to work Thursday, but when my friend Leslie heard Jeremy was still recovering, she told me to go home and be with my baby. She kept harassing me until I asked my boss Beth if I could go home. Not only did she let me go home at noon, but she let me charge Personal Illness, so I didn't have to take vacation. They really are good to me there.

He's slowly getting back to his old self. He's eating great, his sleep is getting better, and he had more energy today. We think the surgery was a success, so we know it'll all be worth it.

1 comment:

Jean said...

That's so great that the surgery went well! And that he'll never remember anything about it. Your header picture of Ryan and Jeremy is perfect!