Our kitty has now been missing for six weeks, but this is a facebook post I made a few days after he went missing. This blog post is basically our eulogy to our amazing kitty Tommy. We know he's gone, and we miss him every day, but we also know that he "filled the measure of his creation" and we will see him again in Heaven.
"Our kitty Tommy is missing. He's been missing since Friday, and we are all broken-hearted. I want to start by saying that I am very grateful for all that is wonderful (which is much) about my life - my husband and children whom I adore fiercely are safe and healthy, and I have a beautiful family, friends, and home.
But I miss my kitty. Ryan and I got this kitty just a few weeks after we returned from our honeymoon. He has been with us through two states, four moves, and three children. He taught both my girls to crawl and put up with their over-bearing cuddles. He lovingly endured Ryan's and my constant need to pick on him - putting socks on his feet or stickers where he couldn't get them off or seeing how many packing peanuts would stick to his fur. He snuggled on our chests whenever we sat down for more than five seconds, and he always kept our feet warm at night.
When I thought about raising my children in this house, Tommy was always there. This was the kitty my kids were going to remember as their family pet once they were grown. He was supposed to pass away of old age when Jeremy was in high school. We were supposed to determine if a boy was good enough for Chloe based on whether or not Tommy would sit in his lap.
We haven't given up hope. There are lots of stories of kitties returning after missing for weeks. We have signs up around the neighborhood. We've asked all the neighbors to keep an eye out. We've checked the animal shelter and monitor their Lost and Found website hourly. But we live on the edge of a subdivision backing up onto open land and hills. We have coyotes wandering our streets.
I knew I loved my kitty, but I can't believe how much it aches. I know he's just a kitty, and I don't know how people feel about praying for cats, but if you would, toss up a prayer on his behalf. He was/is a special kitty. I know everyone thinks that about their pets, and it's probably true for every family, but we love this cat and we want him to come home."
The cuddliest cat I've ever met. The only cat I knew that was trusting enough to sleep on his back even with people around.
We love to pick on him---especially by putting food where it would be hard for him to reach it!
If Ryan or I sat down for more than two seconds, Tommy would jump up and lie on our chests.
Silly kitty
He really did think he was one of our kids. This was one of his favorite napping spots.
Peek-a-boo!
Picking on him again :-)
Driving from Colorado to California for the summer
Protecting a pregnant Nessa (not really - this was mid-yawn)
Cats in socks are HILARIOUS! They can't walk and they can't shake off the socks.
We really love this kitty, and he really loved us back! We'll miss you, Tommy. I hope our next cat is half as good as you!



No comments:
Post a Comment